Thursday, April 28, 2005

Fancy Hotels

Well folks, believe it or not, I'm actually in Manchester. Right now. Manchester. I made it. I'm sitting in the lobby of the very swish Malmaison Hotel, (where I'm staying). I would be in my room, where there is "fast, free internet access" if only I had a laptop.
Last night I met some great people - all helpful contacts for my book. As if that weren't enough, there was a lovely dinner as well. I couldn't resist one of my favourites: steak tartare. It was good - not great. For some reason the egg on top - normally raw - was soft boiled. It was also teeny tiny. Possibly a quail's egg. I didn't enquire.
Now I plan to investigate Manchester a little. I've been here before, but never without it raining heavily. Looks like today could be different.
I know this feeling might wear off when I've spent more time in them, but I do really like hotels. I think it's something about the businessmen rushing about. Makes me feel: I don't have to be anywhere. I can relax. I'm at ease with the world.
That could just be the mood music.

No comments: